SSWAA National School Social Work Practice Model:
Improving academic and behavioral outcomes
The School Social Work Practice Model is SSWAA’s official policy for the delivery of school social work services.
* Describes the skills and services needed for the delivery of high quality social work services in schools
* Promotes consistency to guide graduate education, credentialing, and professional practice
* Provides a framework for the evaluation of services
* Empowers those concerned about school social work services with a coherent model to guide advocacy
efforts and service delivery decisions
* Recommends a general ratio of 1:250 students depending on the characteristics and needs of the student
population served. Students with intensive needs would require a lower ratio
* Is to be used in conjunction with NASW’s Standards for School Social Work Practice and Code of Ethics, as
well as SSWAA’s Ethical Guidelines Series.
* Includes a School Social Work Practice Model Brochure, School Social Work Practice Model PowerPoint
(pending), and an evaluation handout (pending).
Advantages of Adopting the Model
* Improve academic and behavioral outcomes
* Ensure delivery of scientifically supported education, behavior, and mental health services
* Promote a school climate and culture conducive to student learning and teaching excellence
* Maximize school-based and community resources
School Social Workers
* Are trained mental health professionals
* Have a degree in social work
* Provide services related to a person’s social, emotional, and life adjustment to school and society
* Are the link between home, school, and community in providing services to students, families, and school
* Promote and support students’ academic and social success
SSWAA National Evaluation Framework for School Social Work Practice:
As School Social Workers, we often do not fit into typical district forms for employment or evaluation. As a result, teacher evaluation forms are often used to evaluate school social workers. SSWAA has just finalized the SSWAA National Evaluation Framework for School Social Work Practice (2013) (word version) and (pdf version) modeled after the Danielson Framework. You may also reference an accompanying powerpoint for additional information. SSWAA has also continued to gather various School Social Work Evaluation tools from around the country. School systems are invited to adapt this evaluation framework to meet a district's specific needs for evaluating their school social work programs and services. Click here to check out SSWAA's Evaluation Framework as well as various sample evaluation forms and practice manuals that can be used as resources to develop your own School Social Work Evaluation Form.